Head of Development
Ostmodern are looking for Head of Development to oversee a successful and growing multi-disciplinary development team, with a passion for people, innovation, and technology.
At Ostmodern we're renowned for our innovative video-on-demand products such as the highly acclaimed BFI Player running on our own VOD platform, Skylark. As Head of Development, you will be instrumental in helping evolve and shape Skylark over the next few years and will play a key role in identifying other ways we can productise the work we do.
Our current development team consists of Android, iOS, Frontend (HTML, CSS, JS, Angular) and Engineering (Python, AWS, PostgreSQL, NGINX), and whilst it will be beneficial for you to have experience in these specific technologies, candidates with a strong understanding of any relevant full stack will be considered.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience managing a multi-disciplinary team of 30+ developers in an organisation with a significant focus on product design. You will be familiar with the challenges of running large development teams, and have proven experience in shaping and evolving teams as they grow and technology comes and goes.
This is a management role more than a hands on development role, and your time will be focused on empowering a talented and passionate team to implement technology in the best way possible. The team is experienced and educated about what we do, and you will enjoy using others skills to build better ideas, processes and products.
You will be passionate about design and will have a strong desire to listen, build bridges and educate your team and the wider organisation about the role of development in creating great products.
Your role will include, but not be limited to these key areas:
- An ambition for technology at Ostmodern - Leading a continual, critical process looking at how products are developed
- The well being and management of developers - Implementing training, R&D and effective structure
- Ensuring developers communicate effectively with the wider business
- Process oversight - ensuring appropriate and consistent process is being followed and understood
- Clear vision of structure and growth strategy for development team
- Managed teams of 30+ developers
- Conducted staff reviews, performance and hiring of new staff
- Worked with design, UX and other creative disciplines
- Worked with open source technologies
- Strong understanding of one or more agile methodologies
- Ability to articulate complex problems clearly and concisely
- Demonstrable ability to communicate at all levels of an organisation effectively
- Examples of growing or evolving a team within an organisation
Would be great if you knew about these:
- Python, Django, NGINX, or similar stacks such as LAMP
- Android or iOS native development
- Worked with CI and automated deployment, particularly Jenkins
- Video on Demand, or Live Streaming
- Lovely, creative and flexible company with a passion for design and technology
- Yearly bonus based on company profits
- Own Macbook Pro to work on, which you are welcome to take home should you choose
- Time off at short notice and work from home when necessary
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension scheme
- A monthly entertainment budget for your team
- After 3 years, you'll be eligible to take a sabbatical career break
Ostmodern are digital product designers, video-on-demand specialists and content delivery experts.
We believe that innovative design allied with rock-solid technology produces brilliant products. And, over the last seven years, we’ve proved that our strategic thinking, design approach and technical delivery ensures tangible competitive advantage and real commercial return.
Our team of specialists work with leading broadcast and sports brands to define product strategies, design human-centered experiences, develop innovative solutions and implement hardworking products across web, desktop, mobile, tablet and TV.
We prefer to let our work do the talking and with clients like the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, Australian Football League, Yota, Arsenal FC, Virgin Media, News International, Microsoft, YouView and EE, our credentials speak for themselves.
The key to our success is a highly flexible, rigorous and tailored approach to projects. The result is collaborative and rewarding client relationships, leading to proven strategies and brilliant products that people want to use every day.