We're looking for python developers to join our existing team and help us develop and oversee the implementation and delivery of our products.
Ideally you will be opinionated in your tastes as to how you approach problems, but also open to ideas and have a pragmatic streak that helps deliver them.
At Ostmodern we're renowned for our innovative video-on-demand products such as the highly acclaimed BFI Player running on our own video-on-demand platform, Skylark. As a developer working at Ostmodern you will have the chance to evolve and shape Skylark’s APIs to make it smarter, faster, more connected and more powerful, capable of running products with a global reach and millions of viewers. Or you’ll be working on an end-user product, defining and implementing a product architecture to make the best use of the platform, integrating complex systems, and getting quality releases out on time.
We love developers who are willing to try something new, and there will be plenty of opportunity to widen your skills into other technologies. We have teams working on front end web, iOS, and Android and routinely work in tight cross-disciplinary teams to share knowledge and skills across a range of technologies irrespective of coding background.
- Plan and architect projects and their technical solutions to a high standard
- Communicate with multi-disciplinary internal and external teams to ensure high quality project deliveries
- Take ownership of problems and get stuff done
- Write & review code, tests and documentation
- Support more junior members of staff, assisting with their work & personal development
- Stay up to date with the latest technology developments and be prepared to present them internally and to clients
- Strong Python skills
- Working iteratively with regular delivery
- Git (or another DVCS)
- Continuous Integration: test frameworks such as nose or pytest, testing and deployment using tools such as Jenkins
- Relational databases, especially PostgreSQL
- The Linux command line & working remotely using ssh
Would be great if you knew about these:
- Django (or similar Python frameworks)
- Caching systems and NoSQL databases, such as Memcached, Elasticsearch, or Redis
- Vagrant (or other virtual machine tools)
- OVPs and Video players
- Managing machines on AWS
- Front-end technologies (HTML/CSS/JS)
- Lovely, creative and flexible company with a passion for design and technology
- Yearly bonus based on company profits
- Own Macbook Pro to work on, which you are welcome to take home should you choose
- Time off at short notice and work from home when necessary
- Cycle to work scheme
- After 3 years, you'll be eligible to take a sabbatical career break
Ostmodern are digital product designers, video-on-demand specialists and content delivery experts.
We believe that innovative design allied with rock-solid technology produces brilliant products. And, over the last seven years, we’ve proved that our strategic thinking, design approach and technical delivery ensures tangible competitive advantage and real commercial return.
Our team of specialists work with leading broadcast and sports brands to define product strategies, design human-centered experiences, develop innovative solutions and implement hardworking products across web, desktop, mobile, tablet and TV.
We prefer to let our work do the talking and with clients like the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, Australian Football League, Yota, Arsenal FC, Virgin Media, News International, Microsoft, YouView and EE, our credentials speak for themselves.
The key to our success is a highly flexible, rigorous and tailored approach to projects. The result is collaborative and rewarding client relationships, leading to proven strategies and brilliant products that people want to use every day.